This post is part of the very fun 20 Something Bloggers "Blog Carnival"! This fun event allows bloggers to all write on the same topic.This is the first time I'm participating, and I can't be more excited! Enjoy!
Growing up in New Jersey, being a proud Jersey Girl, and even going so far as naming my cat after the state, has led people to wonder why I love it here so much. To many, this is the "armpit" of America. But I see the good things, like: the beaches, Atlantic City, and Giants Stadium. And so, in the spirit of the Jersey Devil, I submit to you a list of things a Jersey Girl cannot live without:
- Pork Roll. Some of you may know it as Taylor Ham. There is a great debate between the North and the South as to it's proper title. But in my neck of the woods, it's Pork Roll!
- EZ-Pass. Parkway and Turnpike tolls are now a breeze with this fabulous toll-paying technology.
- Hairspray. Yes, I fit into the stereotype. I like my hair to have some volume. In order for that to happen, I enlist the help of my friendly neighborhood hairspray can. You can't stop my beat.
- Bon Jovi. Some may argue for Bruce. Bruce whines too much for me. Give me JoN and Richy (who LaLa's mom knows) and a sold-out crowd at Giant's Stadium any day of the week.
- Air Freshener. Ok, at low tide, yes, the turnpike stinks a little. It has nothing to do with the refineries or the chemical plants, and everything to do with the orbit of the moon.
- YES Network. There was a brief period in college when I didn't have YES, right after it's inception. I had a moment. I remember people petitioning Residence Life to get the channel, and eventually, we were reunited with our precious Yankees. (Let's Go Yankees, Let's Go! Game 6 tonight, baby!)
- A beach chair in my trunk. At any given moment, I have a beach chair, towel, and cooler in my trunk. I have to be ready for a beach trip at any given moment!
- Great Adventure Season Pass. This was the Holy Grail as a kid. I grew up 30 minutes away, and we used to go in the afternoon, ride Nitro, then go home. Ahh, the good old days.
- A Casino Chip. Whether your casino of choice is the Trop, Ceasar's, Harrah's or the Taj, every NJ's young adult's right of passage is a night gambling and drinking in AC.
- Weird NJ. Everyone from the state has, at least once, read through these fun books that highlight the "weird" sites around the state. And most of us have visited half!
So, what did I miss? Of course, my list is very "Central Jersey" in it's themes (yes, Central Jersey DOES exist!), so I'm sure some of you from the North or the South have some other Jersey Essentials to add to the list!
Thanks for reading,